Sunday, February 24, 2013

Dipping our toes back into blogging

Oh, it has been a long time since I have blogged. It has been tough, and even the other day I considered adopting a bunny and couldn't bring myself to do it. Hef remains the be all end all bunny in my heart. I still think of that bedroom as Hef's room. "I think that's up in Hef's room..." and I still think of my hoppin kitchen as The Bunny Lounge. I had created another blog, but never posted, it wasn't the same. So I am taking a break from my marathon of cooking today (mainly because my dishwasher is full and I really need to get a third set of measuring spoons and cups...) to try blogging again.
I woke up today and wanted to cook, man I wanted to cook. If your a cook you know that's how it is sometimes, you just get the calling. I knew I wanted a creamy chicken stew,  beef broccoli, and teryaki jerky.After perused my favorite cookbook to grab another recipe since I was heading to the store, I was making my list and saw that the Daytona 500 started a lot sooner then I realized and made a crazy dash to the store to get back in time. So far I have made Chicken and Dumplings, along with Skillet Lasagna, it remains to be seen if I get to beef broccoli or not, the teryaki jerky is about halfway done and I'm about to rotate my racks. For today let's cover Skillet Lasagna, because you might just have everything in your pantry to make this tonight!
Kitchen Helper Bandit
Main job: eating food bits that fall on the floor, she has a great "leave it" in case raw meat or other dog unfriendly foods get dropped.

Once I was watching The French Chef, and Julia Child was making chocolate almond cake. She starts off getting all her ingredients together because, "Otherwise you may have to run to the supermarket in the middle of your cake and that simply won't doooooooo!"

Shadow doesn't help as much, she just tastes what she gets.

Shepherd Oven

So the lasagna is in the back, one medium onion has been browned and 1lb ground beef is  browning now.

10 lasagna noodles cracked into approx. 2 inch pieces, this is really fun to do and makes a great cracking sound.
Pour on one 28oz can of diced tomatoes with juices and 8oz tomato sauce (which I forgot to add until the last five minutes of cooking, but oh well) and cover for about 15 minutes until noodles are soft, then plop on some ricotta and remove from heat. Cover about 5 minutes, so ricotta is warmed through.
DIG IN!



6 comments:

Friend of the Animals said...

So glad you are back. I hope that one day it will feel right to get a bunny. But if not, that's ok too. Just glad you are blogging again!

Little Miss Titch said...

Its good to see you! that is some great food there,give it time till you are ready to get a bunny we are all different and some of us take longer to mourn our babies,just remember when you are ready you're not replacing Hef,you're welcoming a new friend in to the fold and I'm sure that Hef will approve when you are ready to adopt.
your kitty and pup are adorable by the way

bunnits said...

Yay! Glad you are back! What tasty looking fare. It's making me hungry. I have a pot of bean soup cooking, but it doesn't look as inviting as your goodies.

Take care. Time will heal the void. And you have the doggesses to help.

MoB said...

I know it is v v painful to lose a pet. It is like losing a family member...been through it myself.

but a bunny will bring joy into your life again and make you laugh. Do give another bunny a chance.

Carmen Smith said...

Looks like you have some wonderful kitchen helpers;) I know Hef was very special to you and can't be replaced but don't close your heart to a new one someday, I've had 3 and each is/was special in their own way;) Haven't been blogging much myself but glad to see you back, I keep up with you on fb:)

Lisa Alto said...

Hey! Welcome back! Missed you xxx
I'm going to try that lasagne recipe - great idea and soooooo easy!